2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition
YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition
Epic Motogp Spirit
Featuring bodywork and graphics inspired by the MotoGP race team, this Limited Edition is sleeker and more refined than ever before.
- Sleek R-Series Styling: Featuring flowing bodywork and ergonomics inspired by the MotoGP® YZR-M1®, the YZF-R3® is sleeker, more aerodynamic and more refined than ever before.
- High-Revving Supersport Engine: Yamaha's championship-winning technology gives the YZF-R3 a broad spread of power with exciting high-rpm performance.
- Advanced Suspension: The R3's inverted fork works with a Monocross® rear shock to provide exceptional handling, with balanced chassis rigidity, a near 50/50 weight balance, and damping and spring settings designed for a wide range of road conditions.
- Compact Chassis: With a fully-fueled weight of only 368 pounds and a seat height of only 30.7 inches, the YZF-R3 is ultra-light, nimble, and confidence-inspiring on everything from tight city streets to wide-open racetracks.
- Practical Performance: A range of exclusive technologies ensures the YZF-R3 combines Yamaha's legendary refinement and reliability with thrilling performance, all while sipping fuel at an efficient 56 mpg.
- Potent Twin-Cylinder Powerplant: Yamaha's 321cc liquid-cooled, inline 2-cylinder engine delivers excellent power and performance throughout the rpm range. With a 180-degree crank design and integrated counterbalancer, the layout minimizes vibrations for a smooth, refined engine character.
- High-Revving Engine Architecture: With a compression ratio of 11.2:1, double overhead cams (DOHC) and four-valve cylinder heads, the YZF-R3 motor is designed for quick-revving performance and high-rpm efficiency to deliver an exciting ride with a broad spread of power.
- Modern Fuel Injection: Downdraft induction fuel injection system provides easy starting, excellent fuel economy, and responsive performance in all conditions.
- Six-Speed Transmission: A smooth-shifting six-speed gearbox ensures the rider always has the right ratio, whether riding through tight canyon corners or racetrack straightaways.
- Advanced Cylinder Construction: Yamaha's unique DiASil—a high-silicon aluminum alloy—engine block is used to ensure excellent heat dissipation, with an innovative offset cylinder design that reduces horsepower loss and improves both power and fuel efficiency.
- Strong and Lightweight Pistons: Forged aluminum pistons—the same technology used for the YZF-R1®and YZF-R6®—means lighter weight and excellent strength at higher temperatures, ensuring reliability at higher rpm.
- Compact Exhaust System: The short muffler design features modern styling and helps to centralize mass, improving agility for ultra-responsive handling.
- Monocross Rear Shock: The centrally-mounted single-shock design further centralizes mass and is tuned to strike a balance between ride comfort and sporty performance, for capability across a wide range of uses, from urban commuting to trackdays. It's also adjustable for spring preload, to account for passengers or cargo.
- Inverted Front Fork: The YZF-R3 features an inverted fork with optimized spring and damping settings, significantly improving fork rigidity, front-end feedback and control feel. The design also includes a YZR-M1-inspired top clamp for improved supersport style.
- Potent Braking with Available ABS: The 298mm floating-mount front disc brake ensures excellent stopping power, supported by a 220mm rear disc. The YZF-R3 ABS model also features an antilock braking system to boost rider confidence and prevent wheel lock-ups in reduced-traction conditions.
- Sportbike-Spec Wheels and Tires: Stylish 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels minimize unsprung weight for improved suspension responsiveness and refined handling. Grippy Dunlop® radial tires offer enhanced grip and feedback for sporty riding, too.
- Sleek R-Series Styling: The R3's aggressive design continues the legendary styling born from the YZR-M1 MotoGP® machine and improves overall aerodynamics at high speeds, too. The glaring face of the R3 features compact LED headlights with a central air duct that maximizes cooling airflow for the engine.
- LED Lighting: Light Emitted Diode (LED) elements are used for both the taillight unit and headlights. Not only do LEDs offer long life with minimal power draw, they provide brilliant illumination, for confidence and visibility day or night.
- Refined Sportbike Ergonomics: Thanks to the low-profile fuel tank design and relatively compact handlebar position, the rider is able to naturally grip the machine for confidence, especially when tucking aggressively behind the windscreen on the racetrack.
- Perfectly Balanced: Thanks to the engine placement and overall machine dimensions, the YZF-R3 features a near 50/50 front/rear weight distribution for enhanced performance, especially in dynamic canyon-carving or racetrack riding environments.
- Digital Instrumentation: The compact multi-function meter informs the rider of gear position, fuel capacity, real time and average fuel economy, water temp, clock and an oil change trip meter—all presented in a clean, modern layout.
NEW for 2020 Features
- Monster Energy® Yamaha MotoGP® Edition: Inspired by the YZR-M1 raced by Valentino Rossi and Maverick Viñales, the Monster Energy® Yamaha MotoGP® Edition YZF-R3 features an aggressive color and graphics package that stands out from the crowd, and comes standard with Yamaha's antilock braking system (ABS).
- Engine Type: 321cc liquid-cooled, DOHC inline twin-cylinder; 8 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 68.0mm x 44.1mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: Inverted telescopic fork; 5.1 in. travel
- Suspension / Rear: Monocross single shock, adjustable preload; 4.9- in. travel
- Brakes / Front: 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
- Brakes / Rear: 220mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
- Tires / Front: 110/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
- Tires / Rear: 140/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
- L x W x H: 82.3 in. x 28.7 in. x 44.9 in.
- Seat Height: 30.7 in.
- Wheelbase: 54.3 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0 deg.
- Trail: 3.7 in.
- Maximum Ground Clearance: 6.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 56 mpg
- Wet Weight: 368 lb. / 375 lb. (ABS model)
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models. The riders depicted on this website are professionals, and all of the action was shot on a closed course. At Yamaha, we want every ride to be safe and enjoyable. Always dress properly for your ride with a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. Avoid excessive speeds and never engage in stunt riding. Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; it is illegal and dangerous. Always inspect your Yamaha before riding. Read the Owner's Manual and the product warning labels before operation. Yamaha and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation encourage you to ride safely and respect the environment. For safety and training information, see your dealer or call the MSF at 800.446.9227.
- Engine Type
- DOHC inline twin-cylinder; 8 valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 68.0mm x 44.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Fuel injection
- 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Front Suspension
- Inverted telescopic fork; 5.1 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Monocross single shock, adjustable preload; 4.9- in. travel
- Front Brakes
- 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
- Rear Brakes
- 220mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
- Front Tire
- 110/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
- Rear Tire
- 140/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
- 54.3 in.
- Seat Height
- 30.7 in.
- 25.0 deg.
- 3.7 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.7 gal.
- 56 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 368 lb. / 375 lb. (ABS model)
- Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)