2019 Yamaha VMAX
Born With Muscles
An iconic machine that carries clout with its powerful 1679cc engine delivering drag racing style and performance.
- Power Unrelenting: The ultimate power cruiser delivers unmatched performance from its 65-degree, four-valves-per-cylinder, 1679cc V-four—producing eye opening amounts of perfectly controllable acceleration, flowing from a compact engine that looks as powerful as it is.
- Advanced Ride-by-Wire Throttle: Downdraft four-bore fuel injection with YCC-I® intake technology and YCC-T® fly-by-wire throttle provide awesome acceleration throughout the broad powerband.
- High-Tech Aluminum Chassis: Lightweight aluminum chassis puts the engine low and forward for mass centralization, resulting in a machine designed to handle curves as well as straightaways.
- Performance Technology: Borrowing liberally from advanced sportbike technology, VMAX® features a slipper clutch, wave-style brake discs, ABS, and complete suspension adjustability front and rear.
- Unmatched Fit and Finish: Functionality and forward-thinking style uniquely combine with features like oxidized-titanium-coated 52mm front fork tubes, magnesium engine side covers, fluorinated polyethylene fuel tank and the organic electroluminescence multifunction display.
- Power Unrelenting: The thunderous 1679cc, 65-degree, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected four valves-per-cylinder, DOHC engine pumps out astonishing power to reinvent the VMAX legend. You've never experienced anything like it.
- Variable Length Intakes: The superbike-proven Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) switches nearly instantaneously between 150mm and 54mm height intake funnels as needed for a broad powerband that delivers optimum performance at any rpm.
- Ride-by-Wire Throttle: Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), the fly-by-wire system, delivers optimum acceleration under all conditions.
- Compact Cam Drive: Cams are driven by a combined chain and gear system to precisely control valves while keeping cylinder heads remarkably compact for such a large displacement engine.
- Race-derived Combustion: Engine combines four-valve technology with a high 11.3:1 compression ratio, forged aluminum pistons and NGK® Iridium spark plugs with R1-type direct ignition coils to extract maximum horsepower from the fuel charge.
- Slipper Clutch: Hydraulically activated clutch includes racetrack-proven ramp-type slipper clutch system that makes braking from speed while downshifting smoother.
- Robust Five Speed Transmission: Five-speed transmission has superbly spaced gear ratios to take full advantage of the engine's awesome power in straight-line acceleration or through the canyons.
- Unique Shaft Drive: Delivering this power cruiser's muscle to the street means a beefy shaft drive. Special shaft design includes two cross joints to accommodate the fat 200/50R18 rear tire.
- V-four Voice: Four-into-one-into-two-into-four exhaust system with EXUP® delivers a broad, seamless powerband with the right VMAX look… and a sound unlike anything on two wheels.
- High Volume Cooling: The high-performance engine is cooled by two radiators for efficiency and clean looks. Lubrication is via a simple, reliable wet sump system.
- Custom Styling: The iconic VMAX aluminum intake covers are hand buffed by craftsmen for superb quality and individuality.
- Huge, High-tech Fork: Cartridge-damper-type front forks have substantial 52mm inner tubes with oxidized titanium coating. Forks have both compression and rebound damping adjustability plus spring preload.
- High-Tech Aluminum Chassis: The chassis is light and compact, with a cast aluminum main frame, Controlled-Fill die-cast and extruded aluminum rear frame and cast aluminum swingarm.
- Class Leading Brakes: VMAX uses Brembo® master cylinders, the front with radial pump master cylinder. Large 320mm wave-style dual front discs are matched to radial-mount monoblock 6-piston calipers. On the rear wheel, there's a 298mm wave design disc and single-piston caliper. These high-tech brakes also incorporate advanced ABS.
- Fully Adjustable Remote Reservoir Shock: Link-type Monocross® rear suspension has a remote reservoir and features compression and rebound clickers plus remote preload adjustment.
- Beefy Handlebar: Tapered handlebar provides a muscular 1-1/8" diameter look at the triple clamp while using conventionally sized controls.
- Grippy Radial Tires: 18-inch radial tires, 120/70R18 front and 200/50R18 rear, are mounted on cast aluminum five-spoke wheels.
- Underseat Fuel Tank: For mass centralization that contributes to the bike's lean looks, the 4-gallon fuel tank is mounted under the seat, with the filler under the rider's backrest.
- Calculating Power: The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) uses three microprocessors to control fuel injection, ignition, YCC-T, YCC-I, meters and other electrical components.
- Drag-style Instruments: The instrument panel includes an analog, step-motor driven tachometer, and digital speedometer with LED indicator lights. Prominent LED shift timing indicator adds to the performance character of the VMAX.
- OLED Display: Organic electroluminescence multifunction display provides a more precise display vs. LCD and includes clock, fuel meter, trip meter with fuel reserve trip meter, transmission gear position, coolant temperature, stop watch, and more.
- Bright Lighting: H4 60/55W headlight provides excellent visibility and distinctive style, while the trick-looking LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.
- Engine Type: 102-cubic-inch (1679cc) liquid-cooled 65 deg. V-four, DOHC; 16 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 90.0mm x 66.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
- Final Drive: Shaft
- Suspension / Front: 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in. travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound; 4.3 in. travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
- Brakes / Rear: 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
- Tires / Front: 120/70R18
- Tires / Rear: 200/50R18
- L x W x H: 94.3 in. x 32.3 in. x 46.9 in.
- Seat Height: 30.5 in.
- Wheelbase: 66.9 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): n/a
- Trail: n/a
- Maximum Ground Clearance: n/a
- Fuel Capacity: 4.0 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 27 mpg
- Wet Weight: 683 lb. / CA model 686 lb.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models. The riders depicted on this website are professionals, and all of the action was shot on a closed course. At Yamaha, we want every ride to be safe and enjoyable. Always dress properly for your ride with a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. Avoid excessive speeds and never engage in stunt riding. Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; it is illegal and dangerous. Always inspect your Yamaha before riding. Read the Owner's Manual and the product warning labels before operation. Yamaha and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation encourage you to ride safely and respect the environment. For safety and training information, see your dealer or call the MSF at 800.446.9227.
- Engine Type
- 65 deg. V-four, DOHC; 16 valves
- 102 cu.in. (1679cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 90.0mm x 66.0mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
- Final Drive
- Front Suspension
- 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound; 4.3 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
- Rear Brakes
- 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 66.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 30.5 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.0 gal.
- 27 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 683 lb. / CA model 686 lb.
- Matte Raven Black
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)