2017 Honda CRF450R
The ultimate holeshot machine.
Open-class motocross might as well be called the unlimited class. There’s no room for anything but the best here, and the best keep getting better and better every year. Well, have no fear, because the all-new 2017 Honda CRF450R is here. Major improvements everywhere, especially to the engine’s increased power and peak torque, help drive you to the front of the pack. There’s even an optional electric starter this year. And when you’re in the lead in the first turn with an empty track in front of you, it’s a whole new kind of race.
- Downdraft Fuel Injection: Part of an entire engine overhaul for 2017, the new downdraft intake tract and FI body help and increase both power and fuel-metering precision. It’s part of the reason the CRF450R offers such explosive power and massive torque, especially out of the starting gate and in the critical first 100 feet of the race to the first turn.
- Dunlop MX3S Tires: Developed using Dunlop’s latest “block-on-block” design technology, the CRF450R’s new MX3S tires give excellent feedback and are a perfect complement to the CRF450R’s new frame and suspension.
- New Cylinder Head Layout: This year the new 2017 CRF450R uses a new “in-finger” rocker design. The Unicam cylinder head remains the most efficient in the MX world, giving you the design and performance of a double-overhead-cam layout but the compactness of a single-overhead-cam design.
- Higher, 13.5:1 Compression Ratio: A new combustion-chamber design with a revising squish area helps boost the CRF450R’s compression to new heights this year, an impressive 13.5:1. That means improved combustion efficiency for more power.
- New “In Molded” Graphics: With the all the time you’ll be spending in victory circle, you need to look your best. The new CRF450R has you covered. New “in molded” graphics look great, and stay looking good longer.
- Skid Plate: A factory skid plate is light and offers the engine and lower-frame protection that a racer demands.
- New Showa® Spring Fork: An all-new 49mm Showa® fork features a conventional spring design that helps increase the CRF450R’s front-suspension precision, handling and feel.
- Next-Generation Aluminum Frame: New for 2017, our Next-Gen twin spar aluminum frame positions the new rear shock’s mounting point lower, opening up the airbox area and contributing to a lower center of gravity for more holeshots. The frame geometry also helps improve traction, feeling and steering precision.
- Updated Twin-Muffler Exhaust System: The CRF450R’s dual exhaust system is even more compact for 2017 and positioned closer and lower in the frame’s center to take weight off the rear end and bring more mass to the bike’s center for improved handling. It also allows for more air flow, and that equals added horsepower.
- Electric-Start Option: Looking for an awesome new option? Check out the electric-start kit available for the first time on the new CRF450R!
- 260mm Front Brake: The CRF450R’s large front-brake disc measures a whopping 260mm. You get great brake feel and a wave pattern that cuts down on weight. Front and rear brake-disc guards are part of the package too.
- Titanium Fuel Tank: Grams and performance count, and the 2017 CRF450R makes a big switch to a titanium fuel tank this year. Light and strong, it’s also thinner than our previous plastic unit, while maintaining the same capacity, freeing up more space and helping to centralize fuel mass.
- Engine Mode Select Button: This new simple handlebar-mounted button lets you dial in engine power delivery character with a push of your thumb. Choose between Standard, Smooth and Aggressive, depending on track conditions.
- New Scavenge Pump: Deep in the engine, there’s a new oil scavenge pump. You may never see it, but it helps keep the CRF450R’s overall design compact.
- Flatter Seat/Tank Junction: The new 2017 CRF450R features a new, flatter seat/tank junction, including a new titanium fuel tank. The improved ergonomics make it easier to move forward and back on the bike, increasing your control.
- Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 96 mm x 62.1 mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.5:1
- Valve Train: Unicam® four-valve; 38 mm intake, titanium; 31 mm exhaust, Steel
- Induction: Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46 mm downdraft throttle body
- Ignition: Fully transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive: #520 Chain; 13T/49T
- Front Suspension: 49 mm inverted Showa fork with rebound and compression damping adjustability; 12.0 in. of travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link® Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 12.3 in. of travel
- Front Brake: Single 260 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear Brake: Single 240 mm disc
- Front Tire: Dunlop MX3S 90/100-21
- Rear Tire: Dunlop MX3S 120/80-19
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Rake: 27 deg. 22 min. (Caster Angle)
- Trail: 116 mm (4.6 in.)
- Seat Height: 37.8 in.
- Ground Clearance: 12.9 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 1.6 gal.
- Curb Weight: 243 lb. (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.)
- Available Colors: Red
- Model ID: CRF450R
- Engine Type
- Single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke
- 96 mm x 62.1 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46 mm downdraft throttle body
- Fully transistorized with electronic advance
- Front Suspension
- 49 mm inverted Showa fork with rebound and compression damping adjustability; 12.0 in. of travel
- Front Brakes
- Single 260 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Dunlop MX3S 90/100-21
- Rear Suspension
- Pro-Link® Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 12.3 in. of travel
- Rear Brakes
- Single 240 mm disc
- Rear Tire
- Dunlop MX3S 120/80-19
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 243 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.6 gal.
- 58.3 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 12.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 37.8 in.
- 116 mm (4.6 in.)
- 27 deg. 22 min.
- Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive
- #520 Chain; 13T/49T